Defenders of the Philippines

picture of captivity and picture of release form captivity

Albert Senna, ADBC Commander

ADBC Commander, 1950-1951

Albert Senna PictureAlbert Senna was born Sept. 30, 1916, in Bound Brook, NJ. He graduated from Bound Brook HS and Perth Amboy Junior College where he studied  mapping and surveying.  He worked for the Balkelite Corporation and also for Bound Brook Borough Hall as a surveyor.  He joined  the Army June 3, 1941 at Fort Dix, New Jersey.  He went into Basic Training at Fort Belvoir, VA.  He arrived in the Philippines on Oct. 13 1941 and he was assigned to 803rd Engineers Co. B., and assigned surveying tasks.
He was at Camp O'Donnell following his walk on the Bataan Death March, 1942-43.  He departed Manila Oct. 3, 1944 on the Haro Maru and he arrived in Takao, Formosa Oct. 25, 1944

He departed Formosa January 1945 and arrived in Japan Feb. 12, 1945. While a POW he suffered from diptheria, beri beri, and dysentery.  He was in Zero Ward at Cabanatuan in the diptheria section.  His afflictions had a lasting effect on his vision and hearing.  He had lost his eyesight by the time he came out of the service.   After he recuperated at Valley Forge Hospital, the town of Bound Brook gave him a Welcome Home Parade.  

He worked for the Union Carbide Corporation as a lab technician and retired after 35 years. 

He married Helen Chapski April 28, 1946 and they ran several ventures from their home.  He learned ceramics while he was in Valley Forge Hospital and Albert and his wife ran a successful ceramics studies in their home.  With some money he received in claims, he used the money to start up a chinchilla breeding operation and he and his wife were registered with the National Chinchillas Breeders Association.

His wife passed away in 2001. Albert was a member of the Bound Brook Sons of Italy and was a commander of the ADBC. He helped others with claims and worked to improve the rights and benefits for the prisoners of war. He and his wife were also active in the St. Peter the Apostle Church in New Brunswick.

Albert Senna passed away March 14, 2011.

Oral Interview at Rutgers (a lengthy interview with a lot of detail)