Defenders of the Philippines

picture of captivity and picture of release from captivity

Lt. Col. Loyd Mills 

Loyd Mills Photo

 Loyd Edward Mills was born on April 7, 1918 in Douglas, Arizona. He was raised in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He entered into active military service in February 1940 as a second lieutenant in the infantry of the United States Army and went to the Philippines on June 24, 1941. He was assigned to Company C, 1st Battalion, 57th Infantry of the Philippine Scouts and promoted to captain on December 19, 1941. He became a prisoner of war when Bataan surrendered on April 9, 1942 and survived the Bataan Death March. He was then interned at Camp O'Donnell, Cabanatuan, Davao Penal Colony, and Bilibid Prison. From Bilibid, he was loaded onto the hellship Oryoku Maru on December 13, 1944; it set sail the next day. American planes began to strafe the vessel, and on December 15 the Japanese passengers were offloaded at Subic Bay. The prisoners were then forced to swim ashore and remain on tennis courts for several days. On December 20, 500 men were taken to San Fernando, Pampanga and placed in a jail; the rest of the men left on December 21 and were taken to a theater. Then, on Christmas Eve, they were taken by train to San Fernando, La Union and marched to a railroad station, where they were placed into boxcars. Arriving the next morning, the prisoners were marched toa schoolhouse and then to the beach, where after two days and nights the first group of prisoners was loaded onto the Brazil Maru and the rest, including Mills, onto the Enoura Maru.

Loyd Mills Older Picture

On January 9, 1945, the Enoura Maru was attacked with anti-aircraft fire while anchored at Takao Harbor, Formosa. Although they were finally allowed to remove the dead on January 12, the prisoners were kept aboard the ship until January 13, when they were transferred to the Brazil Maru. They arrived at Moji, Japan on January 29.

Mills was liberated at Camp Jinsen, Korea in September 1945, and he retired as a lieutenant colonel on May 31, 1960. He graduated from California State College in Fullterton in 1964. He worked as a senior probation officer for Riverside Company in California from 1964 until April 30, 1976. He was married for 33 years and had two daughters and a stepson. He was the commander of the Western States Chapter of the American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor. He passed away on January 14, 1990.