Avril James Davis
- Born March 11, 1922 in Bon Wier, Texas
- Attended grade school (1st thru 8th) at Davis School, Fawil Community, Newton County, Texas
- Attended high school (9th through 12th) at Newton High School, Newton High School, Newton, Texas from 1937-1940
- Graduated from Newton High in May 1940
- Enlisted in the US Navy on Jan. 4, 1941
- Assigned to USS TANAGER (AM 5) which performed minesweeping duties at Cavite Naval Base, Philippines on 10 Dec. 1941. This came as a result of Japanese planes bombing Cavite Naval Base.
- Subsequently transferred to Fort Sternberg Army Hospital in Manila for treatment of chest wounds.
- Later transferred to U.S. Navy Hospital in Manila at which time he was captured by the Japanese Army on 2 Jan. 1942
- Interred as POW by Japanese Army at Pasay Elementary School in Manila. Subsequently transferred to the old Bilibid Prison Camp and later on to a prison camp at Clark Field, Philippines. In October 1941, he was transferred to Cabanatuan I Prison Camp then on to Las Pinas Prison Camp Sendai #3b, Japan.
- Remained a POW at this location until he was released and repatriated on Sept. 12, 1945.
- Discharged from the US Navy on November 25, 1946 with the rank of Boatswain's Mate Second Class.
- Worked for a brief period at Texaco Plant, Pt. Arthur, Texas from Nov. 1946 until Sept. 1947
- Attended Lamar Jr. College in Beaumont, Texas in Sept. 1947 and graduated in May 1949 with an Associates Degree in Business
- Attended Texas University in June 1949 and graduated in January 1951 with a BBA.
- Jan. 1951 --Employed with Stanolind Oil & Gas, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Jan. 1952 - Transferred to Stanolind Oil and Gas, Ft. Worth, Texas
- 1966-Transferred to Tulsa, OK, with Standard Oil of Indiana.
- March 1, 1984 -Retired from Standard Oil of
Indiana after 33 years of service. Re-located to his
retirement home in
- Passed away on Dec. 11, 2007.
- On Nov. 11, 2005, Mr. Davis was presented his purple heart and POW medal by US Congressman Kevin Brady at Veteran's Day Ceremonies held at Newton High School, Newton, TX. These awards were presented some 60 years after his initial eligibility.